A co-occurring disorder is one that involves both substance misuse and another mental health illness such as depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. Both disorders combined present a special challenge for patients, and they require a comprehensive treatment approach by professionals trying to help. SAMHSA published a recent article highlighting the prevalence of people in America
- Published in Addiction, Addiction Recovery, Drug Treatment, Information for Parents, Mental Illness, Prevention and Intervention, Recovery, Treatment and Recovery
It has been confirmed that music icon, Tom Petty, died of an accidental drug overdose. Toxicology reports indicate that Petty had a mixture of several medications including the potentially lethal fentanyl as well as oxycodone and several benzodiazepines. Benzodiazepines and opioids are a high risk medication combination, and have been tied to numerous other overdose
The New Yorker has published a fascinating, in-depth article on how the Sackler family (owners of Perdue Pharmaceutical) made billions of dollars selling Oxycontin throughout America. While effective pain management was, and is, a very important medical consideration, scores of people were introduced to a drug that was heralded as relatively “safe”, but which opened
Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sought to establish that recovering addicts abstain from all use of illicit substances including alcohol. This model of treatment was originally rooted in the Alcoholics Anonymous 12 Step Program which by design was intended to address alcohol addiction specifically. That program has been extremely popular and effective in helping alcohol dependent
- Published in Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Brain Science, Current Drug Trends, Drug Addiction, Faith and Inspiration, Heroin Overdose, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Methadone Clinics, Opioid Addiction, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Overdose Prevention, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
An overview: Methadone and Suboxone are the two leading medications used in the treatment of opioid addiction. Methadone has been utilized in opioid treatment in the United States since the late 1960’s. Suboxone was introduced in 2002. Methadone and suboxone are in widespread use around the world due to their proven benefit in the treatment
Celebrate Life By Coming Together is a free family event open to the public. This event will remember, celebrate, empower, and encourage the loved ones of those impacted by overdose; support those who are in recovery from substance use; and give hope to the community. This event will have food, bounce houses, games, resource tables,
Know! April is Alcohol Awareness Month The media has done a good job bringing to light the prevalence and severity of the use of heroin, prescription drugs and marijuana among our nation’s youth. But what about alcohol? We don’t hear much about it in the news anymore. Is underage drinking still that widespread? And c’mon,
A Newsweek article addresses a finding by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) which indicates individuals receiving an opioid prescription can develop an opioid dependency “within a few days of initial use”. The associated study was conducted at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and was based on examination of patient records
- Published in Addiction in Media, Drug Addiction, Drug Facts, Drug Safety, General Discussion, Media and Addiction Coverage, Opioid Addiction, Pain Management, Prescription Drug Abuse, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
SAMHSA published an article on their website referencing data collected from 40 million Blue Cross Blue Shield subscribers. The article stated that Substance Use and Mental Health Disorders have a negative effect on Americans’ longevity, productivity, and general health. Specifically, depression, anxiety, and mood disorders were cited as having the greatest impact on health. Substance
As we examine the opioid crisis in America, it is important to take note of trends in both the prevalence of opioid abuse as well as progress in providing education and treatment to address the problem. CNN reported that during a 32 hour span of time between Wednesday and Friday of last week, emergency personnel
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- A co-occurring disorder is one that involves bo...
- It has been confirmed that music icon, Tom Pett...
- Fox8 News has provided media coverage of ADS...
- The New Yorker has published a fascinating, in-...
- Finally, it seems there is growing momentum for...
- Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sou...