Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sought to establish that recovering addicts abstain from all use of illicit substances including alcohol. This model of treatment was originally rooted in the Alcoholics Anonymous 12 Step Program which by design was intended to address alcohol addiction specifically. That program has been extremely popular and effective in helping alcohol dependent
- Published in Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Brain Science, Current Drug Trends, Drug Addiction, Faith and Inspiration, Heroin Overdose, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Methadone Clinics, Opioid Addiction, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Overdose Prevention, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
Celebrate Life By Coming Together is a free family event open to the public. This event will remember, celebrate, empower, and encourage the loved ones of those impacted by overdose; support those who are in recovery from substance use; and give hope to the community. This event will have food, bounce houses, games, resource tables,
North Carolina has an informative website which addresses the rising opioid problem. The address is GovernorsInstitute.org and this site highlights the issue of opioid use and misuse in the United States. Mentioned there is that 998 North Carolinians died of opioid overdose in 2015. The Governors Institute offers guidelines on opioid prescribing and also focuses
- Published in Addiction in Media, Buprenorphine, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Drug Treatment Funding, General Discussion, Heroin Overdose, Media and Addiction Coverage, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Pain Management, Recovery
There is an enlightening article and video segment by Ryan Haraar (Colorado 9NEWS) on the rising problem with opioid overdose in America. The piece highlights that the United States comprises 5% of the world’s population, but consumes 80% of the world’s prescription opioids. Presently, there is considerable discussion in the news about the origins of
Like most every place in the United States, the state of Colorado is also experiencing a local opioid crisis. In Denver, many people are in search of opioid treatment. In the video linked here, Denver Health is profiled as an area methadone clinic that is presently treating 600 patients who had developed severe opioid addiction.
As we examine the opioid crisis in America, it is important to take note of trends in both the prevalence of opioid abuse as well as progress in providing education and treatment to address the problem. CNN reported that during a 32 hour span of time between Wednesday and Friday of last week, emergency personnel
The Pew Charitable Trusts published a video overview on medication-assisted therapy for opioid use disorder. The clip is less than 2 minutes (shown below), and offers a quick summary of the medications often used in treating opioid addiction. Opioid use disorder is highlighted as a complex brain disease. Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) combines medication + behavioral
Probuphine is a new drug recently developed and released by Braeburn Pharmaceuticals. The drug is FDA-approved and is a time-released version of buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone that staves off opioid withdrawal symtoms). Probuphine must be implanted beneath the patient’s skin (typically in the arm) where it gradually distributes medication for 6 months. The
The High Point Police Department has been a steadfast supporter of addiction treatment and in assisting people with addiction problems find the help that they need. Their most recent effort is the use of Heroin Help Cards. WFMY News2 aired a segment highlighting this new initiative in which High Point Police Officers will hand out
The NC Council of Community Programs just published its bi-monthly newsletter. In it, Governor McCrory proposed that $30 million dollars be allocated for Substance Use Disorders, Mental Health, and Developmental Disabilities. Included in the allocation is a standing order which allows naloxone to be dispensed to anyone who requests it. Approximately 2500 lives were saved
- Published in Addiction, Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Heroin Addiction, Methadone, Naloxone, Narcan, Opioid Addiction, Opioid Treatment, Prevention and Intervention
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sou...
- An overview: Methadone and Suboxone are the two...
- Celebrate Life By Coming Together is a free fam...
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has anno...
- There is an interesting life story and profile ...
- Fox 8 news reported that 102 people in Lancaste...