A University of Michigan study funded by the National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that college students are presently 51% more likely to use marijuana than same age peers who are not enrolled in college. This trend has been increasing at about 10% per year for several years underscoring the need for increased prevention
North Carolina has an informative website which addresses the rising opioid problem. The address is GovernorsInstitute.org and this site highlights the issue of opioid use and misuse in the United States. Mentioned there is that 998 North Carolinians died of opioid overdose in 2015. The Governors Institute offers guidelines on opioid prescribing and also focuses
- Published in Addiction in Media, Buprenorphine, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Drug Treatment Funding, General Discussion, Heroin Overdose, Media and Addiction Coverage, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Pain Management, Recovery
Know! April is Alcohol Awareness Month The media has done a good job bringing to light the prevalence and severity of the use of heroin, prescription drugs and marijuana among our nation’s youth. But what about alcohol? We don’t hear much about it in the news anymore. Is underage drinking still that widespread? And c’mon,
A Newsweek article addresses a finding by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) which indicates individuals receiving an opioid prescription can develop an opioid dependency “within a few days of initial use”. The associated study was conducted at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and was based on examination of patient records
- Published in Addiction in Media, Drug Addiction, Drug Facts, Drug Safety, General Discussion, Media and Addiction Coverage, Opioid Addiction, Pain Management, Prescription Drug Abuse, Recovery, Suboxone, Treatment and Recovery
Each September, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) sponsors National Recovery Month, a national observance that educates Americans on the fact that addiction treatment and mental health services can enable those with a mental and/or substance use disorder to live a healthy and rewarding life. Recovery Month spreads the positive message that
A new Town Hall Meeting will occur in High Point at the High Point Arts Council on Tuesday evening July 14th. Fact: Two out of three families are somehow touched by addiction! The Town Hall Meeting will address addiction in our community and how family members can do something about this illness to hopefully prevent
- Published in Addiction, Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Alcoholism, College Alcohol Abuse, Current Drug Trends, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Treatment, General Discussion, Information for Parents, Narcan, Opioid Overdose, Overdose Prevention, Prescription Drug Abuse, Prevention and Intervention, Recovery, Treatment and Recovery
A June 2015 article in Medscape points to continued public concerns with drug overdose in the United States. Megan Brooks of Medscape writes: “Drug overdose is now the leading cause of deaths from injury in the United States.” She addresses that 26 states have seen an increase in drug overdose deaths over the last 4 years. In 36
Much has been written over the years about the process of living drug free and maintaining a sober life. Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous were among the earliest programs that provided its members a path to freedom. Throughout recovery literature are detailed accounts of recovering addicts who learned that drinking and drugging were actually only
The internet has facilitated an unprecedented level of access to products and services around the world. Almost anyone with a credit card, gift card, or online payment account can purchase items online. This happens to include intoxicating substances, both legal and illegal, distributed via the “underground” internet. Yes, there are people who will buy alcohol
Alcohol and Drug Services (ADS) has been serving the Piedmont Triad community for over 40 years. During this time, the agency has offered a wide variety of treatment programs and prevention programs to help people learn to deal with addictive disease and to live a healthier life. Most everyone knows someone who has struggled with
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- Celebrate Life By Coming Together is a free fam...
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has anno...
- There is an interesting life story and profile ...
- Fox 8 news reported that 102 people in Lancaste...
- Eleven teenagers in Indiana were hospitalized a...
- A University of Michigan study funded by the Na...