A co-occurring disorder is one that involves both substance misuse and another mental health illness such as depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. Both disorders combined present a special challenge for patients, and they require a comprehensive treatment approach by professionals trying to help. SAMHSA published a recent article highlighting the prevalence of people in America
- Published in Addiction, Addiction Recovery, Drug Treatment, Information for Parents, Mental Illness, Prevention and Intervention, Recovery, Treatment and Recovery
Fox8 News has provided media coverage of ADS’ facility on Chestnut Drive in High Point and the assistance that ADS has received through the years from the High Point Community Foundation. The Foundation has provided funds that sustained ADS’ Prevention efforts among other upgrades to help keep the facility running. The ADS High Point location used
North Carolina has an informative website which addresses the rising opioid problem. The address is GovernorsInstitute.org and this site highlights the issue of opioid use and misuse in the United States. Mentioned there is that 998 North Carolinians died of opioid overdose in 2015. The Governors Institute offers guidelines on opioid prescribing and also focuses
- Published in Addiction in Media, Buprenorphine, Drug Abuse Trends, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Drug Treatment Funding, General Discussion, Heroin Overdose, Media and Addiction Coverage, Medication-Assisted Treatment, Methadone, Opioid Recovery, Opioid Treatment, Pain Management, Recovery
Joe McDonald is President and CEO of Catholic Health Services in Buffalo, NY. They are an outpatient substance abuse treatment facility who recently relocated, and are adding “medication-assisted treatment” to help local people struggling with opioid addiction. Joe wrote an opinion piece for The Buffalo News, and in it expressed his hope that the local
Tobacco has been one of the most prevalent, long-standing addictions in America. Fortunately, tobacco use has declined over the past 30 years with many public buildings, retail stores, and restaurants having banned smoking as a service to their patrons. Smoking cigarettes was once a rite of passage as teens aspired to look older and act
In recognition of the 27th Annual National Recovery Month, Alcohol & Drug Services, Inc. and Caring Services, Inc. will sponsor CELEBRATE RECOVERY on Sunday—September 25, 2016 at Oak Hollow Festival Park (1841 Eastchester Drive, High Point, NC) from 2pm-5pm. The purpose of this event is to honor and support individuals and families who are in
Probuphine is a new drug recently developed and released by Braeburn Pharmaceuticals. The drug is FDA-approved and is a time-released version of buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone that staves off opioid withdrawal symtoms). Probuphine must be implanted beneath the patient’s skin (typically in the arm) where it gradually distributes medication for 6 months. The
The NC Council of Community Programs just published its bi-monthly newsletter. In it, Governor McCrory proposed that $30 million dollars be allocated for Substance Use Disorders, Mental Health, and Developmental Disabilities. Included in the allocation is a standing order which allows naloxone to be dispensed to anyone who requests it. Approximately 2500 lives were saved
- Published in Addiction, Addiction in Media, Addiction Recovery, Drug Overdose, Drug Treatment, Heroin Addiction, Methadone, Naloxone, Narcan, Opioid Addiction, Opioid Treatment, Prevention and Intervention
It is commonly known that resources for drug treatment and prevention have gradually waned over the past 15 years. As this reduction in resources progressed, so did America’s drug problem. Many professionals in law enforcement now state that the country cannot arrest its way out of this growing dilemma. Many of those who are addicted
People who face addiction also deal with the social stigma attached to having an alcohol or drug problem. Addiction is a powerful disease that changes people and often leads to a life of repeated disappointments and failed restarts. These failures are frequently visible to friends, family, and employers. As family and others watch on, often
Subscribe to ADS Posts
- A co-occurring disorder is one that involves bo...
- It has been confirmed that music icon, Tom Pett...
- Fox8 News has provided media coverage of ADS...
- The New Yorker has published a fascinating, in-...
- Finally, it seems there is growing momentum for...
- Historically, abstinence-based recovery has sou...